We work closely with our manufacturing partners to ensure that production processes are efficient and green, so that you can be sure that when you buy an Optoma product, it is manufactured to have a minimal impact on the environment. Our projectors are manufactured in ISO 14064 certified factories ensuring that greenhouse gas emissions are strictly monitored. Our aim is to work with our partners to continue to reduce the impact of the manufacturing process. Over the last ten years we have been at the forefront of meeting and exceeding green legislation.
- The RoHS Directive – Toxic Substance RemovalThe RoHS Directive limits the use of heavy metals (lead, cadmium, mercury, chromium VI) and two brominated flame retardants: PBB and PBDE. At Optoma, we ensured our products were compliant well before it became law in 2006.
- Green MarkAs early as 2008, Optoma projectors complied with the stringent Green Mark that requires that we meet strict requirements for six chemical substances. These standards are stricter than RoHS and expressly define that a plastic component heavier than 25g shall not contain lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, PBBs, PBDEs and SCCP.
However, at Optoma we don’t just react to legislation, one of our key objectives as an environmentally responsible company is to eliminate the use of all hazardous chemicals. This means we strive to ensure we are at the forefront of chemical management improvements and the elimination of hazardous substances. Of course, Optoma is fully committed to making sure that working conditions in our supply chain are safe. Our employees are treated with respect and dignity, and processes are environmentally responsible.
By ensuring that our packaging is as small and light as possible, we can fit more boxes onto each shipping pallet, reducing the overall number of pallets we need to ship. Fewer pallets means fewer planes and boats are used, resulting in fewer CO2 emissions. Shipping by sea is by far the greenest method of bulk transportation. Over the past ten years, Optoma has consistently sought to increase the proportion of shipments by sea, so reducing harmful CO2 emissions. A percentage of Optoma greenhouse gas emissions are as a result of transporting our products from our central European distribution points, we have introduced warehousing in France and Germany to further reduce the need for unnecessary transportation emissions. Wherever possible we deliver direct to distribution hubs in regions where our products are sold.
Optoma designs products that last. Our approach to recycling begins with making our products efficiently with as few materials as possible. We’ve also consistently improved the lamp-life of our projectors, saving you money and producing less waste. Nevertheless, at some point there will come a time when it will be necessary to recycle your product. We here at Optoma fully subscribe to the WEEE Directive which aims to reduce the amount of electrical and electronic equipment being produced and to encourage everyone to reuse, recycle and recover it.
We know that improving our products is the best way to reduce our impact on the environment. That’s why at Optoma, we design our products to have a long usable life, use fewer materials, ship with better the minimum packaging and be free of many toxic substances. Naturally, energy efficiency and being as recyclable as possible are built in at the design stage. With each new product, we strive towards minimising our environmental impact.
Optoma design teams have developed packaging that aims to be as small, light and ecologically friendly as possible whilst still fully protecting our products. This kind of efficient packaging design not only keeps materials and waste to a minimum but also reduces our carbon footprint during the transportation process. Additionally, we have eradicated the use of polystyrene foam in our packaging to further protect the environment. Today, Optoma no longer produces paper based user-manuals and brochures for many of our products, preferring to conserve resources by making them available either on CD or directly downloadable from our website.
Most greenhouse gas emissions that Optoma is responsible for are produced when our products are plugged-in and used. That’s why it’s so important for our products to be as energy efficient as possible. Optoma is at the forefront of introducing the most energy efficient products in the industry.
- Less than 1 watt power consumption in standby mode. Optoma was the first company to introduce projectors that consume up to 75% less energy compared to regular standby mode.
- Optoma products are designed to limit energy use with features such as automatic shutdown and remote management and control.
- We are developing new technologies such as LED light sources, not only increasing lamp life but reducing the
need to use the earth’s valuable resources.